Monday 19th Sept

 Monday, 19th September

Early start for the airport through rush hour traffic to catch a flight to Chiang Mai. There was a foot massage pavilion at the gate, and so with half an hour to spare, I sat down. I love this part of Thai life and so far I’ve been lucky and I haven’t had a bad massage yet. Maybe no foot massage is a bad? With feet tingling from all the attention I got on the packed flight to Chiang Mai. I expected there to be stoners or travelers with backpacks but I was the only ‘fareng’ on the flight.

Finding my AirBnB was a bit of a challenge but a kindly old man who spoke surprisingly good English led me there. It is a lovely wooden house with a temple (Jade Buddha) on the corner. There is a temple on nearly every corner so its not a particularly good landmark to aim for. However, the house is lovely and has a zen garden of pebbles and a fountain. It’s just outside the Old City by the East Gate and although very close to the night bazaar and all the action, its quiet and peaceful.

I headed into the Old City for my first yoga session at Wild Rose Studio. Yoga is my main plan for my week in Chiang Mai and I wasn’t sure if my rusty, no practise for over a year, self would make it through the class. However, not only got through the class I really enjoyed it and so confirmed the rest of the classes for the week.

I wandered back through Chiang Mai and marveled at the temples galore.

There were two vegan cafe’s on my route home according to my app, but while I found every other sort of cafe - including a weed cafe which seems very niche - I didn’t find one. I still haven’t had a proper Thai meal yet. The one Thai meal I did have had more garlic in it than any other ingredient! Thai food seems quite meat and seafood based, but I am sure I’ll find some good vegetarian (non-weed) food. Feast pray love - not quite there yet.


Old walls of Chiang Mai

Not so old bridge of Chiang Mai

My own home - for the week

Wat wat wat

Wat?



Comments